Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Random thing stuck in my head.

I got called in to sub quite a bit this past week, and for whatever reason I keep getting this random song stuck in my head.  Especially after one day when some kid tried figuring what kind of music I like.  He kept playing rap and pop songs, which I honestly cannot stand.  It also reminded me of a conversation I recently had with a coworker about how shows like "American Idol" and "America's Got Talent" are ruining the next generation of musicians.  Dave Grohl, the lead singer/frontman of Foo Fighters and the former drummer of Nirvana, said the same exact thing (I'll find the quote he had).  The main reason is because people are getting their dreams shattered by going up in front of the judging panel only to have them say that they're terrible at singing.  Some of greatest bands got their roots in someone's garage, they didn't sound good at first, but they got better with practice and then they got recognition and some of them became the most influential bands of their time.  Dimebag Darrel was the lead guitarist of the heavy metal band Pantera, when they first started, he didn't even know how to play the guitar, but he's considered one of the best guitar soloists of all time!  The Beatles only knew one chord when they first started, and 50 years later, people still talk about how great they were.  The beauty of music is that you create what comes to mind, that's what makes all music unique.  Beethoven went deaf, but he still continued to compose music, Ray Charles was blind, but that didn't stop him.  I guess my point with all this is that the only barriers to creativity is the individuals own mind.  I went to high school with the band The Lumineers, I don't like their music, but how they got started is a perfect example on what I'm talking about.  Anyways here's the song I keep getting stuck with.  Nine Inch Nails: Terrible Lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment