Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Chapter 12 Reflections

How would I go about getting the computers or technology ready for the students to use in a lesson plan?  Obviously the first step would be to reserve either the computer lab or laptops if the school has them.  I would first setup how the students are to back-up and save their work, either using an online source like Google Docs or even using a flash drive in case they don't have a reliable internet connection (Morrison and Lowther 2010).  Also I would make sure that they name the file or document that would be easy for them to locate and remember, such as Metcalf Social Studies Project.  Another step I would use significantly would be to bookmark specific Internet sites, which will help the students be able to locate sources much faster and more efficiently.  I'd do this by posting the websites on the class Wiki or the class website for them to access.

The "computer part" of the lesson comes after I do a lecture on the topic and then explain the task or project that they are to complete using the computers.  Secondly, I explain how they are to use the computers to complete their assignments.  After these first two steps, I then allow the students to access the computers.  Basically, I go over the topic, then state the objective of the assignment and explain how they are to use the computers.  This is when computers become a part of a lesson I am teaching.

If my class only had access to three computers, it would be difficult to make sure that every student had equal access to them.  Say for arguments sake the class size was twenty-one students, I would divide them into groups of three that way nine students are using the computers at one time.  I would place time limits on these groups, so each group is able to have equal access on the computers.  So in a class that's an hour long, the groups would have a twenty minute time limit for computer use.  As for the students who aren't currently using the computers, I would give them other tasks related to the assignment.  Such as researching various quotes from books or even provide worksheets for them to complete (Morrison and Lowther 2010).

Bibliography:

Morrison, G. and Lowther, D. Integrating Computer Technology into the Classroom Skills for the 21st Century.  Pearson Education 2010.  Boston, MA.

No comments:

Post a Comment